Monday, January 11, 2010

Potty training

Yet another way that my kids are TOTALLY different people. Phoebe wanted to potty train... we reluctantly let her give up diapers (even at night around 2 1/2 years old) thinking we'd be cleaning up a bunch of pee... nope. She forged ahead. Now, at 3 1/2 years old Nora still regularly utters the phrase "I'm peeing" as she stands anywhere... maybe outside, just as likely on my carpet, in the kitchen, or standing next to the toilet... what am I supposed to do? I'm so FRUSTRATED! I don't want to make potty training a miserable experience for Nora... but I am TOTALLY over cleaning up after her "accidents". Is this normal stuff? Phoebe didn't do it... but I'm aware the one child cannot be the benchmark for all others. Any insight would be wonderful...

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it is frustrating, but in Nora's defense, she seemed to have it totally under control for a few months, and only in the past several days has had some kind of backslide. (This is kind of weird talking via blog - maybe I should just walk into the other room and say hi.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment from Mike cracked me up. I wish Jason would communicate with me through blog comments.
    Maybe make Nora responsible for helping clean up the "accident". If she new it would require personal clean up, maybe she will try SUPER hard to get to the bathroom.
    Or in the summer, just don't give her underwear when you are home and outside and let her feel pee run down her leg. Thats what my mom did. So old fashioned, but apparently works like magic. Not many people enjoy that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley and Alissa would get to busy playing and they would have "accidents". Making them clean their own does have an impact. I only had to threaten it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that Mike comment was classic.
    potty training is totally for the birds.

    ReplyDelete