Thursday, January 14, 2010

My best job...


So, you say you've heard a lot of complaining about my current gig? And you'd like to know what my other favorite job was? Well, here ya go... Biological Technician for NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). They are in charge of the Hawaiian Monk Seal Recovery Project. Our job was to monitor reproduction of the endangered Hawaiian monk seal on the uninhabited northwestern Hawaiian Islands. I was stationed at Kure Atoll. If I have ever fallen in love with a place in my life... that was it. Three technicians (me and two others) lived on a 1 1/2 mile long, half mile wide island for almost 4 months. Absolute heaven. I realize to some this sounds more akin to hell... but trust me... it was wonderful.

My field crew leader that year went on to do some really amazing work. She's currently in Africa working with manatees. Her blog is at insearchofmamiwata.blogspot.com. Talk about the road not taken... hmmm....

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound like hell to me. I still tell people about this job to show how cool my wife is. You failed to mention that besides being very tiny, this island is like 20 thousand miles from the next nearest island. An intrepid adventurer, that's my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Mike. When I tell people about my best bud her life on a primitive island (including pics) is definitely fun to share. Having said that Jill, your flair had definitely carried over into your family life and I think you are remarkable at everything you put your heart into.
    Tammi

    ReplyDelete