Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Christmas Present...


I asked for two things this Christmas... a garbage disposal, which I didn't get (Mike had a point... I mean, who could hold their head high and report that they bought their wife a garbage disposal for Christmas? - he said I could get one anyway), and a GOOD blender. I'm so excited about my blender, I've been using it for soups lately. Tonight was carrot soup (no relation to the carrot dip at the SCPENS potluck this weekend... except that we're not good at estimating how many carrots makes 4 cups - and we had WAY more than we needed for the dip!). Hence, soup!


Curry Carrot Soup
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
4 c. (or so) chopped carrots
3 c. chicken broth

optional garnish:
plain yogurt
carrot curls
mint sprigs

1. Cook onion in a few tablespoons of chicken broth until soft (about 5 min.)
2. Add curry powder, coriander and cardamom.
3. Add carrots and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender (about 20 minutes).
4. In food processor or BLENDER (!) puree carrots and broth until smooth.
5. For chilled soup, cover and refrigerate for approximately 1 hour or until fully chilled. Or, garnish and eat hot (like we did).

2 comments:

  1. your blender could beat up my blender!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your patience astounds me. I am not a fan of being in the kitchen. We did have asparagus chicken tonight though. (Super easy) Hey do you remember when I sent you that food box back in college and you told me you had no idea how to cook anything I sent you? It was all to time consuming! LOL Now look at you!
    Tammi

    ReplyDelete