Wednesday, April 21, 2010

For the love of spring...

I have spring fever on a windy, cold, almost-rainy day... so mother nature and I aren't quite on the same page. Never fear... I can garden anyway... so there!

In honor of Earth Day (and my spring fever), we brought the outdoors in and re-potted some herb/flower kits we got for Easter in ridiculously small terra cotta pots. Repotting was a nightmare... and the TINY seedlings didn't fare so well. You can see the broken plants in the green pot in the corner of the box...


Then I suggested that we also plant our sunflower seeds for our summer science project (it's not as formal as that sounds). We're going to participate in The Great Sunflower Project!


It's run by a group out of San Francisco State University that is trying to get people to plant a specific variety of sunflower in their garden and then count bees that visit the flower in a given time period. They want to create an index of bee populations across the US and Canada. This year they have other plants that they're including in the database... so if you're interested... bee balm, cosmos, rosemary, tickseed, and purple coneflower all count!

I think it will be fun... and the protocol is fairly flexible. I think it'll be educational also, since the girls and I will have to sit down and describe our garden... we can talk about habitat types and such. Not to mention, how great will it be to sit on a warm, sunny day counting busy bees (that I'm sure we'll also learn a lot about)!

No comments:

Post a Comment