
Highlights included animals, of course... many of which looked like leaves or sticks in some way, shape, or form... maybe by carrying them (I know... we took a lot of pictures of leaf-cutter ants... they're easy subjects)...

...Phoebe spotted this walking stick. I had never seen one in the wild... kinda cool to imagine them all over, and you never see them!

This prompted a discussion of how animals protect themselves... camouflage!

...my favorite two pictures of monkeys...


...and the sloth that hung out by the pool for two days...

The other major highlight for me was a waterfall hike Mike and I went on with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law... the waterfalls were AMAZING...

...maybe best of all it was a "just adults" trip because of the river crossings and the 3 hour hike. Just fabulous!


We got to hear about strangler figs... and how they completely engulf any tree they begin to grow on... except maybe the palm tree. It's the only one that doesn't continue to grow at the trunk, so it doesn't get strangled. Hmmm... not so lucky for this poor tree...

One day all of us took a guided hike down to the beach. Along the way we saw lots of animals, including spider monkeys, squirrel monkeys with babies, and the walking stick in the above (horrible) picture (in my defense, it's way darker under the canopy than you would think... and it's hard to get good pictures!). We did see this hawk...
...and this REALLY cool tree along the way...
It was a beautiful beach and the interesting thing about it was that EVERY single shell on the beach that could accommodate a hermit crab did.
It was phenomenal. I've never seen so many hermit crabs in my life! Everyone got into picking them up!
The kids liked picking up the hermit crabs and checking out all the different kinds of shells they had...


The only pictures I don't have and wish I did were of the scorpion I found in the shower and the gargantuan tarantula that shared our room for a short time... very short...
No comments:
Post a Comment