Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Metamorphosis

Phoebe first noticed a black caterpillar on the ceiling in the breezeway between our house and garage on May 30th. It was hanging in a "J" shape, and Phoebe recognized this as a cue that the caterpillar was about to spin a cocoon. I should have rushed to get my camera, but I didn't... and by the time I got there it had already started making the cocoon... (the caterpillar was initially black, but was this shape)...


And over the next few days it finished the cocoon... which I did not get pictures of... and I do realize that this means that if I'm actually going to tell these stories on the blog I'm going to have to get better at recognizing my opportunities and following through...

Anyway... last night Phoebe noticed the butterfly that had emerged!


I guess when it got warm this morning the butterfly's wings were warm and dry and it could fly away... and now the empty cocoon is left...


It was exciting... and we looked up the butterfly... it's common in this area and is called a Mourning Cloak. Here's a better picture of it from a butterfly ID website...


Now that butterfly garden I've been promising to put in all spring is high on the list of things to do! Phoebe's stoked... and I'm all about a garden PRONTO! In fact, I best go get started!

2 comments:

  1. you are the perfect example of child directed learning. You take their interests, and use it as an opportunity to teach them. Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely butterfly. We once found a caterpillar in our broccoli, when we put it in a jar to inspect it it went right to the top and soon we had a cocoon to examine.

    Our butterfly was a cabbage moth and it made a huge impression on the Peanut.

    As for your documenting skills, You're doing fine, you go the important bits :)

    ReplyDelete