I love watching my kids make friends... I love hearing them giggle while they play... I love knowing that they're learning how to connect with people.
I hate drama... A LOT... I have two girls... I suppose I best get used to it...
I see a little girl who could use help learning to communicate... to truly express her feelings so that she can be a good friend and have good friends. Her mom has asked me if this is a problem... and it is... and it isn't. It is because this little girl hurts people's feelings... it isn't because, well, these are little girls, and they're trying to figure this out. It is because she isn't getting the tools that could help her...
I have these tools because I found the greatest preschool in the world... one that teaches of nurturing self-esteem instead of conformity, one that reminds us explicitly that we teach by example... it's become a way of life for me. I'm not perfect at it... by any means... but I'm thinking of trying to share the tools that I do know with this mom, who I really think would like to know them... and I don't know how to approach her. What do I do? How do I start? And how far do I go? I can't make her practice these tools (they take a lot of time and effort... but what's more worthy of your time and effort than your children?), and it's not my responsibility anyway. And yet, I so want to help, to share the things that saved my life... and my children's lives... I can't imagine what it would be like to live in our house if I hadn't been through this program.
Really
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Am I "that mom"?
ReplyDeleteha ha...jk. I think modeling the appropriate ways of communication with your children is super effective. She will see how you talk to your girls and think "wow, Jill is a great mother..I want to be like that"
Thanks... I don't feel like a great mom most days... and no... you are not that mom... and unfortunately (?), I don't spend much time with her.
ReplyDelete