Anyway, this year I decided to make my own natural dyes... ya know... trying to get away from the chemicals...
I made these by boiling stuff in water (clockwise from the top left... beets, chili powder, turmeric, miner's lettuce, and blueberry tea).
And before you get all gaga on me about it... let me tell you that it was a huge amount of work and I was disappointed. The beet juice and turmeric worked a little bit... but the others didn't work at all (ok, I didn't really expect the miner's lettuce to work, but I thought it was worth a try to get green).
We drew on the eggs... and put them in the dye... and waited patiently... or not...
Eventually we broke out water colors and tried that... and I don't suppose that paint is any less toxic than food coloring in the long run...
We even tried coloring the eggs with tissue paper fragments like Nora did at preschool... only I came to find out that there's a difference between gift wrap tissue and craft tissue... so ours didn't work... *sigh*
But luckily I have a go-with-the-flow family and they rolled with it (or rowed with it as the case may be... ha ha ha)... and we went on to have a great egg hunt (in the house... because it just WILL NOT stop raining around here)...
Again... it didn't phase the girls... they fully enjoyed the hunt...
...finding eggs all over...
...especially enjoying the eggs with toys in them!
Later in the morning they had ANOTHER egg hunt at Grandma's house...
Then we went to our traditional Easter picnic with the whole family...
The girls LOVE their littlest cousin Brandon (they love the others too... but they dote on "baby Brandon" somethin' fierce).
The Easter Bunny came...
...which delighted Nora no end... it was so cute!
It was fun for the adults too... we got to catch up a bit and enjoy each others' company.
No comments:
Post a Comment